Financial Support Programs

MN Benefits Online Service:

MN Benefits is Minnesota's secure, online system you can use to apply for cash assistance, SNAP (food support), emergency help, long term care and waivered services.

To get started, visit MN Benefits to use an online pre-screening tool find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password. If you already have a user ID and password, you can log-on to MN Benefits directly. Paper applications are also available at the county seat.

  • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)

    To provide temporary assistance to families in need, in the form of financial support, employment and training support and child care support to promote the needy families' self-sufficiency in Becker County.

  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP)

    To provide temporary assistance to families in need, in the form of financial support and intense employment services for maximum period of four months.

  • General Assistance (GA)

    Provides assistance for people without children who are certified by a physician to be physically or mentally incapacitated and unable to perform employment. He/she may also be an SSI applicant or appellant, or meet non-citizen criteria. Applicants are required to apply for other maintenance benefits such as Veterans, Worker's Compensations, Social Security, Unemployment Compensation, etc.

  • Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)

    This program is for elderly or disabled people who do not have enough income to meet their basic needs. These are people who reside in their own homes, nursing homes, or other facilities.

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

    This program is for all people who are within the income guidelines set forth by the USDA. Food support benefits are issued via Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) directly to recipients.

  • Group Residential Housing (GRH)

    This program was formerly funded under MSA and provides payment for room and board at licensed GRH facilities.

  • Minnesota Health Care Programs

    These programs are available to people who meet income and asset guidelines. Applications are available at your county office or you can apply on the MNsure website.

  • Employment Services Program

    This program is a requirement of the MFIP/DWP. This program is for individuals to be referred for support in obtaining the most direct path to employment. Rural Minnesota CEP is the contractor currently providing employment services to the MFIP/DWP population. They are located at 803 Roosevelt Avenue, Detroit Lakes, MN. 218-846-7377

  • Food Support Employment and Training

    A mandatory employment and training program for Non Public Assistance Food Support recipients who do not meet a work registration exemption. Rural MN CEP is the contractor for these services as well.

  • Legal Non-Licensed Child Care Providers

    For information on how to apply to become a legal non-licensed child care provider contact Lakes and Prairies at 1-877-773-5778 or at the Lakes and Prairies website.

  • Child Care Assistance Program

    Assistance in paying for child care needs of parents whose income is below the 175% FPG and are in an authorized activity such as employment. Apply at the MAHUBE-OTWA website or call 218-739-3011.

  • Child Support Division

    To offer the following scope of services: location of non-custodial parents, establishment of parentage, establishment of support (child, medical, child care) orders, enforcement of support (child, medical, and child care) orders, and collection and disbursement of funds.


    Visit Bridge to Benefits for information regarding all programs offered to MN citizens along with information on changes, questions and answers etc.

For more information on available programs: