Following are instructions to get either a certified or a
non-certified copy of a MN Birth Certificate.
obtain a Certified Copy of a Minnesota Birth Certificate:
If you were born in Minnesota from 1935 to the present:
Your birth certificate is on a statewide vital statistics system through
the Minnesota Department of Health located in our office.
If you were born before 1935:
You will need to obtain a certified copy from the county in which you
were born or the county where your mother resided at the time of your
birth. Please contact us to see if we can help expedite the process for
To obtain a certified copy in person:
- You may appear in person at the Vital Statistic Department nearest
you in the State of Minnesota. You may call the facility to make sure
your name is on the State Vital Statistics System.
- When you arrive you will need to complete a
Tangible Interest Form and present valid photo identification
such as your driver's license. (A Tangible Interest Form is a form
certifying your right to the copy.)
- The fee will be $26.00 for the first copy and $19.00 for each
additional copy requested for the same record.
- See Tangible Interest Form for other persons that are eligible to
obtain a birth certificate for you by appearing in person with valid
To obtain a certified copy by mail:
- You must complete a
Tangible Interest Form and sign the form in front of a Notary
Public. You will need to show the Notary Public a valid photo
identification such as a driver's license.
- Send $26.00 for the first copy and $19.00 for each additional copy
requested for the same record. Make check payable to the Becker County
- Send the completed Tangible Interest Form and correct dollar amount
to the address listed on the bottom of this page.
Birth Certificate requests are processed within 1-2 business
days of when we receive them.
obtain a Non-Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate:
- Send us the name, date of birth and place of birth.
- Make a $13.00 check payable to Becker County Recorder.
- Send information and check to:
Becker County Recorder
915 Lake Ave
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501