Minimize Chemical Use
For both environmental and commercial reasons the Natural Resources Management Department seeks to use the minimum quantities
of chemical in its operations. We will minimize the use of forest chemicals through:
- Integrated pest management practices.
- Silvicultural prescriptions that reduce the need for chemical application.
- Establishing procedures to carefully evaluate whether herbicide use is needed and choosing the correct herbicide and application rate.
- Using chemicals only where they are necessary and are the most effective option to achieve management objectives.
- Using the least toxic, narrowest spectrum product to achieve management objectives.
- Using the lowest quantities and concentrations of chemicals necessary for effective treatment.
When chemicals are used, we will establish and follow procedures to ensure that:
- All laws and regulations governing chemical application are strictly adhered.
- Chemicals are stored, transported, and applied in a responsible manner to protect the safety of the public, our employees and
contractors, and the environment.
- Any employee or contractor that applies or administers the application of chemicals will be trained and licensed.
- Adjoining landowners will be notified.