Steve Skoog - Administrator
Environmental Services News...
Becker County invites fixed price proposals for woody biomass grinding and hauling processed wood from public yard waste sites. Proposals will be accepted on or before 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 17, 2017. More info...
A new way to recycle is available to those living within the city limits of Detroit Lakes, Frazee, Audubon, and Lake Park. Single-stream recycling allows residents to place plastics, paper, metal, cartons, and cardboard together in one container. Announcement... | More info... | Collection days...
Becker County Environmental Services announces a new business related plastic recycling opportunity. Collection canisters, free of charge, may be available for qualifying farms, dairies, and other related businesses. Read more...
In an effort to increase recycling in our community, Becker County is launching a 'special event' recycling program for its residents. Whether it is a picnic, reunion, sporting event, or show, we can provide assistance, guides and bins for your use during your event. More info... | Guide...
The Environmental Services Department provides residents of Becker County with cost effective, environmentally sound solid waste
management within the confines of the EPA (Environmental Protections Agency - Federal) and MPCA (Minnesota Pollution Control
Agency - State) rules and guidelines.
The Director of the department is an appointed position. Ten people staff the department with various cross training and
responsibilities. All are MPCA Certified landfill operators and Household Hazardous Waste trained. The Central Office staff is
trained to answer questions on the telephone regarding Solid Waste issues, Recycling questions and Household Hazardous Waste
disposal. The staff can and will do on-site inspections and assessments dealing with recycling, source reduction and problem
solid waste issues.
The budget for the department is a special revenue fund with only part of the funds collected from the taxes. Those funds from the
taxes are used for the Corrective Actions Remediation Measures at the closed MSW Landfill. The other sources of Revenue come from:
a) money generated from volume based tipping fees at the Transfer Station; b) a SCORE Grant for the State of Minnesota (recycling);
and c) a Household Hazardous Waste Grant from the State of Minnesota.
Expenses include: a) transportation and final disposal of Solid Wastes from Becker County; b) education programs in Recycling,
Source Reduction and Household Hazardous Wastes; c) collection and transportation of Recyclable; d) managing Problem Materials
(tires, appliance - i.e. refrigerators); e) collection, management, transportation and disposal of Household Hazardous Wastes; and
f) corrective actions on tax forfeited properties.
The department manages:
- The Becker County Transfer Station and Demolition Landfill.
- The countywide Recycling Program with its subparts of education, source reduction, grant administration and recycled commodity collection.
- The Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Detroit Lakes. The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Coordinator is part of the
department's staff. This position coordinates activities in a 5 county area. The Department also manages the VSQG (Very Small
Quantity Generator) program which manages business hazardous waste upon request.
- The Corrective Actions and Remediation Measures at the closed, capped Mixed Solid Waste Landfill located on the same property
as the Transfer Station.
- Administration and oversight of the Solid Waste Special Assessment applied to the property tax statements.
- In cooperation with the County Extension Service coordinates and helps with the collection of waste pesticides
and waste pesticide containers.
- In cooperation with the Natural Resources Management Department, coordinates the cleanup and remediation of leaking
underground storage tanks and tax forfeited lands.